Skip to main content

David's Spiritual Disciplines - Psalm 101


Psalm 101

1 I will sing of steadfast love and justice;
to you, O LORD, I will make music.
2 I will ponder the way that is blameless.
Oh when will you come to me?
I will walk with integrity of heart
within my house;
3 I will not set before my eyes
anything that is worthless.
I hate the work of those who fall away;
it shall not cling to me.
4 A perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will know nothing of evil.

5 Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly
I will destroy.
Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart
I will not endure.

6 I will look with favor on the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me;
he who walks in the way that is blameless
shall minister to me.

7 No one who practices deceit
shall dwell in my house;
no one who utters lies
shall continue before my eyes.

8 Morning by morning I will destroy
all the wicked in the land,
cutting off all the evildoers
from the city of the LORD.

This Psalm hearkens back to an earlier time for me. I remember the days, from 2002-2006 when I owned my 1991 maroon Honda Civic with a 1.5 liter engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. I remember when it was broken into for the second time and the radio that I had placed in the mount was once again stolen. So I printed off a word doc with Psalm 101 on it and taped it over the unsightly mess that used to contain my radio. Aesthetically speaking, the printed word doc that was now taped up over the old spot made a bad situation look worse...at least it was God's truth that was plastered over my dash. At the time, I didn't care about aesthetics. 

I memorized the Psalm, although it doesn't do much good now because I have switched to the ESV from the trusted old NASB. Funny how those little changes can make all the difference. Something I had down cold at one point almost works against me now, given the fact that it was in a different translation. I almost need to undue what I had previously known in order to begin afresh. Oh the struggle that it is to be me. Aren't you glad you didn't commit large portions of Scripture to memory in a different translation...if I only had discovered the ESV at my conversion!! I am sure world evangelization would now be complete. Looking back, I think this was definitely the thing that held me back from making a bigger dent in the kingdom of darkness;)

 On to the Psalm, here are some insights:

1. The Psalm focuses very much on the action of David. This confronts my passive approach to discipleship and spiritual discipline. I tend to think that if I am going to grow that God will cause growth. Now, to be sure, God is the one who causes growth, which is why a closer look at what David says here is so enlightening. We see the paradox balanced, between God's sovereignty and human responsibility. Yes, God is sovereign. Yes, God ultimately causes growth...but we have a part to play in it too. Unless I roll up my sleeves and put my faith in practice I cannot expect to grow spiritually. This Psalm shows us what David is doing to roll up his sleeves and grow as a man of God.

2. The Psalm is split in roughly two parts, generally characterized by what he will do and what he will not do. It seems the Psalm goes back and forth between what he will actively pursue and what he will actively avoid. 

Verses 1-2 tell us David will sing of God's justice and give himself to careful thought about what is      to God. David decides that being a man of integrity in the most private places of his life (within his house) is going to be his standard. 

Verses 3-5 focus on what David will avoid and completely root out of his life: those who fall away, a perverse heart, evil, slander, haughtiness...these people and attitudes will have no place in David's life. 

Verses 6 David is back on the positive, telling us that he will look with favor on the faithful people in the land and the one who walks in the way that is blameless. 

Verse 7-8 David is back on the war path against those who do wickedness. This time it is the one who practices deceit and utters lies in verse seven and verse eight he generally addresses wickedness and evildoers to cut them off of the land. 

3. Speaking of verse eight, David was the king who had the power to enact some of these things. Cutting off the wicked in the land and from the city of the Lord points us to the King Jesus who will judge the quick and the dead and who will separate the wheat from the tares. When the Kingdom of God comes to its climax in the New Jerusalem, no evil will be allowed to enter (Revelation 21:8). For us it is important to remember that David was the anointed king of Israel and that role now belongs to Jesus. This means that it is Jesus' responsibility to cut evildoers off from the land but our responsibility to cut evildoers off from their destructive influences against our godliness. 

4. Interestingly, Psalm 101 highlights the relational aspect of growing spiritually. When David talks about what he will and will not tolerate he talks about it in terms of people. David grasps the effect of people on his life and the way they do have the ability to steer him to either worship or idolatry. 

5. David speaks in harsh terms that offends our sensibilities. Yet, sin is harsh and if it isn't dealt with sternly it will consume. David seems to understand the stakes and realizes that fighting sin is more like a war than it is a game. The strong language "I will destroy" suggests that the fight against sin must be a war against sin.

6. In verse eight "morning by morning," David suggests this war is ongoing and daily. 

7. David seems to be searching for God "oh when will you come to me?" David isn't searching in the way we understand a seeker. Rather, he is searching in the way that he wants more of God, more of his presence and more of his fulness. The underlining conviction is that David doesn't dwell with wickedness because God doesn't dwell with wickedness Therefore, David wants none of that because he wants more of God. 

8. As a practical application, we today must consider our friends that we order our lives around. However, we have to do more than this. We must also consider our choices of entertainment and the like. If you are the temple of the living God, and you are, then you don't have to be king in order to cut off evil from the city of God. As long as you cut off the workers of wickedness from taking root in your heart and mind then you too are cutting off all evildoers from the city of the LORD because right now, believers are the city of God. This you can control, therefore you are responsible for doing at least this. This is part of your obedience to Christ and part of your reign with King Jesus. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret of all Failure is our Failure in Secret Prayer

“We may be assured of this—the secret of all failure is our failure in secret prayer” (12). So writes the anonymous author of the classic little book on prayer entitled, The Kneeling Christian (Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids: 1971). He means that the reason we so often fall into sin or live in discouragement or fail to bear fruit is because we do not cling to God in Christ above all things. We do not diligently seek him or lean on him or plead with him or draw on his strength. We give ourselves to busyness over communion with God and in this way we seek to accomplish in our flesh what can only be accomplished in the power of the Spirit.  Giving first place to what our dear author calls “secret prayer” is indeed a key to the Spirit-filled life but let’s be clear: prayer is not magic, rather, it’s a relationship. It’s not as if we simply have to file requests with God, being careful to use just the right words so that we can get him to respond as we wish. God is not a vending m

Deacons - How They Serve and Strengthen the Church (Part 1)

  One of the next important priorities for GCF is to establish deacons in the life of the church. On March 14, 2021 we were able to establish an elder team. Currently, we have a team of four elders overseeing the congregation of GCF.  However, there is more work to be done. I have come to see that establishing an elder team was the bare minimum that needed to happen for GCF to survive. I believe GCF now needs to turn our attention to raising up a team of qualified and willing deacons to serve the congregation so that it will not only survive but thrive.   I would like to begin a series of blogs on deacons to help us understand who they are and what they do in the life of the church.  In this blog let me provide three reasons why I think deacons should be near our top priority.  Number 1: It is Biblical. Paul instructs Timothy to install elders who will help him pastor the church. For whatever reason, it seems the churches in our circles treat the installment of elders as non-negotiable

Does the Doctrine Divide? by Patience Griswold

“Oh, I try not to talk about doctrine. It’s so divisive.” This is a sentiment that I’ve heard expressed, as well as implied, on many occasions, and one that raises the question, does doctrine divide? In answering this question, we must keep in mind a very important truth and that is that everyone holds to some sort of doctrine . “Doctrine” is defined as “a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a church, political party, or other group.” Regardless of whether or not someone publicly holds to a statement of beliefs from a particular church, every Christian, by definition, holds to a particular set of beliefs. As Carl Trueman observes in his book The Creedal Imperative ,       [W]hile Christianity cannot be reduced to doctrine, to mere teaching, it cannot be meaningfully separated from it, either. Even the most basic claims, such as “Jesus is Lord,” carry clear doctrinal content that needs to be explicated in a world where, as we have noted before, every heretic has his text and n