Skip to main content

Announcements - August 2, 2015



Announcements – August 2, 2015
Quarterly Strategy Meeting This Morning: We will be conducting our quarterly strategy meeting following the worship service this morning in the gymnasium. Members of GCF are expected to attend and everyone is welcome to join the meeting.

Women's Ministry Park Date: Ladies are welcome to attend the next park date on August 11 and enjoy fellowship at Otsego Park on the Mississippi river. Moms may bring their children. Bring a lunch and stay as long as you would like. Begins at 10:00 a.m.

Boy’s 2T and 3T onesies and clothes needed. There is a Safe Family for Children in Elk River who is caring for a medically fragile 9 month old boy. He is in need of onesies and some clothes. If you are able to donate these items, see Carmen Gunderson or call her at 763.370.2041.

Meeting At Elk River High School: GCF will be meeting in the Little Theatre at Elk River High School on August 9 and 16 for its Sunday morning worship services.

Christian Movie Promotional: Contact Mary Prange about information regarding a Christian Movie titled “Beyond The Mask.” The movie will be playing at the Elk River theatre on Monday, August 17 and you must reserve tickets by August 7. Please consider supporting this movie with your family. There is more information available at the missions table and the GCF Facebook page.
Student Ministries Summer Gathering: The next student ministries summer gathering (grades 6-12) is on Wednesday, August 5 at Warren and Vickie Johnson’s home in Elk River.
Thursday Morning Prayer Meeting: Please join us for an hour of prayer on Thursday mornings from 6:00-7:00 a.m. at the church office.
Pivot Meetings: The college age ministry meets on alternating Thursday evenings. 7:00 p.m. at Josiah Lee’s house. The next meeting is August 6.
Stay Connected: All of our announcements are posted on our blog at our church website (gcfmn.org). If you would like to receive our weekly electronic newsletter please contact Traci Veek (traci@gcfmn.org).
Next Week’s Fighter Verse:
The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
Psalm 34:15-16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...