Skip to main content

Sermon Questions - April 17, 2016

Rebuked in Rebellion
1 Samuel 28:1-25
April 17, 2016

Study Questions

1.    Read 1 Samuel 28:1-2. Having prepared to war against Israel, what did the Philistines expect from David? What was David’s response to this demand? What did Achish promise David?
2.     Read 1 Samuel 28:3-7. Why do you suppose Saul put all mediums and such out of the land? What did Saul feel when he saw the Philistines? What happened when he sought the Lord? Why? What, then, did Saul decide to do?
3.   Read 1 Samuel 28:8-14. What steps did Saul take to hide himself? What specifically did Saul request? What was the medium’s objection? How did Saul respond to it?
4.     What did the medium feel when she saw Samuel? How did she describe him? How did she then know that Saul was Saul?
5.     Read 1 Samuel 28:15-19. How did Samuel react to “being brought up”? What did Saul tell him? What specifically did Samuel say and how do his words relate to previous things told to Saul?
6.     Read 1 Samuel 28:20-25. What did Saul feel in response to Samuel’s words? Why did he not want to eat? Why did the medium and his servants urge him to do so anyway?
7.     What does this story teach us about the “spiritual realm”? How should we think about, and pray for, contemporary mediums, warlocks, witches and the like?
8.    What does this story teach us about the faithfulness of God and the seriousness of his judgments? Is it still possible for some people to go beyond the point of no return with the Lord?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...