Skip to main content

Sermon Questions - April 15, 2018

Gospel of John
I Chose You Out of the World
John 15:18-25
April 15, 2018


Questions for Study and Meditation
  1. Read John 15:18-19. In light of his grace, why does the world hate Jesus? Why does the world hate those who love Jesus? How does Jesus’ choice of the disciples relate to the world’s hatred of them? 
  2. Read John 15:20-21. When did Jesus speak this word to his disciples, and why was it relevant to them at that time? Why does the world treat the disciples of Jesus as they treated Jesus? Ultimately, why does the world hate and persecute Jesus and those who love him? 
  3. Read John 15:22-25. What role do the words and works of Jesus play in the world’s hatred of the Father, him, and his disciples? From where did Jesus quote in verse 25? Why did that have to be prophesied and fulfilled?
  4. What’s the most important thing you learned from the sermon and your personal study? 
  5. How has today’s message helped you to grow in love for God and others? 
  6. What is the most important thing Jesus would have you do in light of the message? 
  7. Take some time to worship Jesus. Thank him, praise him, and ask for his help as you seek to grow with others in faith, hope, and love. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Why Share My Faith - Part I

In my last post , I shared a one paragraph definition of the Gospel. In this post and the next, I'm going to share some reasons to share your faith. Before We Begin Many times, evangelism is shared as a duty. This is certainly true, as we will see in a moment, but it's so much more than that. Like many duties of the faith, evangelism is meant to flow out of our relationship with Christ. Like praise, service, and giving of one's treasure and resources, sharing the Gospel with another should flow from a sense of worship rather than a sense of mere duty. As we contemplate all that Christ did for us, we begin to be compelled to worship out of gratefulness, and, from that attitude, we then share with unbelievers. The Road to Salvation as a Process I will be referring to this concept throughout this series. When I first started to really study evangelism, one short verse changed my entire approach and attitude. Paul, in I Corinthians 3 addresses sectarianism - divis...