Skip to main content

A Prayer For Teens - Wisdom

Proverbs 2:1-8

My son, if you receive my words
and treasure up my commandments with you,
making your ear attentive to wisdom
and inclining your heart to understanding;
yes, if you call out for insight
and raise your voice for understanding,
if you seek it like silver
and search for it as for hidden treasures,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding;
he stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
he is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
guarding the paths of justice
and watching over the way of his saints.


Father in heaven, we come to you and acknowledge that you are the source of wisdom and the giver of wisdom. We love you, our Father, for you give. You so loved the world that you gave your only Son and whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life. You also gave the right to be called children of the living God to those who put their faith in Jesus Christ. 

What an incredible privilege! And for those who are your children, you give wisdom. O Lord, you are the creator of this world and you sustain it by the word of your power. Whom shall we look to for wisdom? Who else is there who possess the words of life? You are God and you bestow the best gifts that could possibly be given. 

Help us to believe this. Please keep us from the allure of worldly pleasures and worldly treasures. Cause us, by your spirit, to desire your wisdom more than we desire anything else. If we could be in the position of Solomon with any wish we could want, may it be that we would request wisdom that you are so eager to give. Oh that we would seek for it more than silver and desire it more than hidden treasures. Bring us, we pray, to fear the Lord so that we may find the knowledge of God. 

Forgive us for pursuing this so lightheartedly. Forgive us for the other priorities that rank higher than coming to the knowledge of God. In every way we have assumed the knowledge of God, please forgive us for our contentment with superficiality. By your grace, please grant us a deeper hunger to know you and be known by you as a father would know his children. 

We thank you for patience and kindness to us. We thank you for being a God who longs to crown us with your love. We pray this in the name of Jesus, Amen.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...