Skip to main content

Theres Always Two Sides On A Coin by Pastor Kevin



I write this after just getting done with a very fruitful meeting with the prospective elders. Somehow we got onto discussing a recent trend of prominent church leaders who have failed morally, even at the height of their powers. 


When I say “fail morally” you might assume it was sexual failure. It wasn’t. It was the failure of using intimidation and manipulation to further the “success” of their ministries.  Thus, the sin of lust is real, whether it be a lust for the female body and for sex or lust for power, influence and control. 


Small church pastors can make themselves feel better by looking down on them. Yet it is possible for many pastors in small churches to be guilty of the same sin. Let me explain. 


The core desire to become the biggest church in America is likely a lust for power and influence. This thirst for success drove pastors and their fellow leaders to utilize fear to push the church forward. It was this same thirst for success that other church leaders justified looking the other way. It is easy to forget that a coin has two sides. While I might never be in a position to grow the largest church in America I will likely be in a position, perhaps the people as well, to despair the insignificance of a tiny church that rents space. 


God’s wisdom invites us to consider this despair as sin. If manipulation is “heads” on a coin then despair is, you guessed it. Both are opposite and unfortunate results of bowing down to the idol of “worldly success,” both reveal opposite consequences of a misplaced identity.  


Elders are called to prayer and ministry of the Word. I am arguing that what happened in this discussion fulfills this calling and serves the church. The godly insight of four men who pray to God and rightly apply his word protects the church from veering into the ditch of worldly attitudes on success and preserved the church to live joyfully in God's design for this particular congregation. Consider this role and call of a pastor. A meeting that might seem insignificant actually isn't, it is the fulfillment of a calling to pray and minister the Word that produces the fruit of joy the entire congregation can savor together.


For our joy and His glory,

Pastor Kevin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...