Skip to main content

Announcements - September 3, 2017


Worship Location Update: The work at the Handke Family Center has been delayed. We will meet for worship at Elk River High School's Little Theater until at least September 17.

Glory of Christ Fellowship 10th Anniversary Celebration: We will celebrate our tenth anniversary on Sunday, October 1. Along with our Agape Meal, there will be a silent auction. Funds raised from the auction will go into the short-term missions fund. Help is needed to cover the details of the silent auction—silent auction items, setup and cleanup of event. To get involved, contact Julie Springfield at 763-607-1253.

Somali Adult Literacy Training (SALT) Outreach Training Saturday, September 9: Join us for a time of training open to all current SALT volunteers and those interested in getting started. Training will be at Bethlehem Baptist Church, downtown campus from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Lunch is included in registration fee of $10. Talk to David Gunderson if you are interested in registering.

All Sunday School Classes to begin on September 17: Sunday School will start again soon. Pray, asking God to fill every classroom with godly people who are eager to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ to the next generation. If you would like to help with the ministry, talk with Pastor Kevin.

Wednesday Morning Prayer Meeting: Currently, this weekly prayer time is on hold. When arrangements are made to reconvene, an announcement will be made.
Next Week's Fighter Verse
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son,
that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,
but in order that the world might be saved through him.
John 3:16-17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...