Skip to main content

Faith and the Body of Christ, by Pastor Charlie Handren



Faith and the Body of Christ
By Pastor Charlie

The incubator of faith is the body of Christ. The food of faith is the Word of Christ and the light of faith is the Spirit of Christ, but the context in which it grows and prospers is the body of Christ.
George Müller is famous for his faith in God, but his faith did not come out of nowhere. It was, of course, granted by the Holy Spirit (Romans 12:3), but it was fanned into flame by other believers who gathered with him to seek the Lord and advance in their Christian life together. For example, when he was a young man, he would regularly gather with about twenty believers to sing, pray, read the Scripture, read portions of godly books, and speak the Word to one another. When he was much older, he wrote about that time and the effect it had on him, both when he was seeking the Lord and when he was backsliding. Müller writes:
I was often greatly stirred up and refreshed in these meetings; and once, being in a backsliding state, and therefore cold and miserable, I opened my heart to the brethren, and was brought out of that state through the means of their exhortation and prayer. “Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together,” is a most important exhortation. Even if we should not derive any special benefit at the time, so far as we are conscious, yet we may be kept from much harm. And very frequently the beginning of coldness of heart is nourished by keeping away from the meetings of the saints. (Autobiography of George Müller, Westminster Literature, 20)
Indeed, the Lord is utterly wise and on our side when he inspires the author of Hebrews to write, “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near” (Hebrews 10:24-25).
The incubator of faith is the body of Christ. The food of faith is the Word of Christ and the light of faith is the Spirit of Christ, but the context in which it grows and prospers is the body of Christ. If we are to reach the heights of faith and behold the glory of God as he stretches out his strong right hand, we will have to do it together. This is the Lord’s design and it is good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...