Skip to main content

Announcements - September 3, 2016



Announcements—September 4,  2016
  • Sunday School Classes for All Ages Start September 21: We are looking to fulfill all of our teacher needs before we can begin. If you are interested in serving in the Sunday School ministry this year, please contact Pastor Kevin. We have a few needs for Preschool and elementary age classes.
  • Student Ministries Fall Kickoff September 14: Parents and students are invited to attend our annual Student Ministries Kickoff on Wednesday, September 14 at 6:00 p.m. Join us for a picnic at Otsego Park.
  • Men’s Retreat: Attention men! The 2016 men’s retreat is scheduled for October 13-15. Please mark your calendars. There will be more information available soon.
  • Pivot Meeting: The college age (and beyond) ministry meets on alternating Thursday evenings. 7:00 p.m. at Josiah Lee's house. The next meeting is on Thursday, September 8.
  • Wednesday Morning Prayer Meeting: Anyone who would like to join in corporate prayer may do so. The prayer time is 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. at the church office.
  • Arrive Ministries Needs Cleaning Supplies for New Refugee Families: A large bin with a list of items needed will be near the Mission’s Table for the next couple of weeks to collect donations. Target or Walmart  gift cards are also welcome as contributions. See David Gunderson with any questions about this need.
  • Fare for All is back in Elk River on Friday September 9, from 2:00-4:00 p.m. at Central Lutheran Church. Fare for All buys fresh produce and frozen meat in bulk from wholesalers to find the best deals available. Because of bulk buying power, lots of people in our community can take advantage of buying from Fare for All at a 40% reduction over retail prices. This program is for everyone, of all incomes. To learn more about the program, go to: www.fareforall.org.



Next Week’s Fighter Verse
...Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:6-7 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...