Skip to main content

Sunday Announcements for November 15, 2015


Advent Begins on November 29: We have some suggested resources to help you and your family worship Jesus this Christmas. Please stop by the Family Ministries Table to begin your planning.

Sunday School: We will be having Sunday school on Sunday, November 29. Thank you for taking note of this.

Marie Sandvik Center: There are opportunities to serve at the Marie Sandvik Center. If you are interested in learning more or signing up you can see Brian and Melissa Johnson. There will also be a sign up sheet on the information table.

Christmas Outreach: This year our Christmas outreach efforts will combine a local and global emphasis. For the local outreach we will be cooperating with a Christian non-profit called "The Forgotten Initiative" to put together "Journey Bags" for kids in the foster system in Sherburne County. We will share more details in the coming days. For the global outreach we will be cooperating with Operation Christmas Child. For details about this outreach, please contact Julie Springfield at julie.springfield@comcast.net. 

Pivot Meetings: The college age ministry meets on alternating Thursday evenings. 7:00 p.m. at Josiah Lee's house. The next meeting is November 19.

Thursday Morning Prayer Meeting: Please join us for an hour of prayer on Thursday mornings from 6:00-7:00 a.m. at the church office. Women should bring at least one other person with them so that we can honor the Lord by maintaining appropriate boundaries. If you are unable to stop by the church office, feel free to join in wherever you are.

Next Week’s Fighter Verse:
"Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of your name; deliver us, and atone for our sins, for your name’s sake!" (Psalm 79:9)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...