Skip to main content

Colorful Glory: How the Fall Colors Display the Artistry of God

Fall is one of my favorite times of year. I love the crisp morning air, the shifting arc of the sun, and most of all the fall colors. Our new home in Saint Michael is surrounded by a variety of old, tall trees, and the mixture of greens and yellows and reds and oranges in our yard has been truly breathtaking at times. As I’ve reflected on the beauty that surrounds us, I’ve asked myself two questions. Why do the leaves change colors in the fall, anyway? And, how does this seasonal display of color reflect the glory of God? 

In answer to the first question, let me review what many of you already know. Trees and plants take water from the ground through their roots and carbon dioxide from the air. They then combine the water and carbon dioxide with light to produce two things: oxygen and glucose. The oxygen is expelled into the air and the glucose is sent from the leaves into the interior of the tree providing it with “food” to grow. The process by which oxygen and glucose are created and utilized is, of course, called photosynthesis, and this process is aided by the chlorophyll that’s found in leaves. Chlorophyll is what makes leaves look green throughout the spring, summer, and early fall. 

As summer wanes and the fall sets in, the days get shorter and the air gets cooler both of which tell the tree that it’s time to get ready for winter. During the winter, trees essentially hibernate and live off the glucose they’ve stored up over the spring and summer. As trees transition from being fully alive to being hibernate, the chlorophyll slowly drains from their leaves causing them to transform from green to various shades of red, yellow, orange, and brown, depending on the particular type and chemical composition of the tree. When most of the chlorophyll is gone and the leaves have died, they generally detach from the tree so as not drain it of vital resources during the winter months. 

Wow, that’s amazing, and it leads us to the second question: how does this seasonal display of color reflect the glory of God? First, every tree is a visible display of the scientific and engineering genius of God. We see them in so many places and at so many times that we tend to take them for granted. But each tree is a living testament to the brilliance of God. Second, the process and display of the fall colors reveals the creativity and artistry of God. While we can explain what makes leaves turn a variety of colors, we must admit that God could have made things work in some other way. That he chose to make things work this way shows the quality of Artist he is. 

Finally, when seen as one part of the entire seasonal process, the fall colors help every tree to proclaim the gospel. The hibernation of trees is a metaphor for death, while the leafing of trees is a metaphor for resurrection. The fall colors vividly draw our attention to the former and call upon us to anticipate the latter. In this way they play a vital part in nature’s constant declaration of the glory of the gospel of God (see Psalm 19:1-2; Romans 8:18-22).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...