Skip to main content

Obama Won: Putting our Hope in God Alone

This blog entry was written by Jordan Pepin, an Elder at Glory of Christ, his wife's name is Jen. 

“Jen. Obama won.” That was the text my wife received from a friend last night. With just a few words, there was much said; anxiety, fear, concern for her young children, lack of hope. I knew her feelings because I had the same feelings. Like many others I’m sure, I did not sleep well last night, mostly tossing with different thoughts of what could transpire in the next four years. Mostly, there was fear for what my kids would have to go through. I spent the night tossing. 

This morning I woke with the same dark cloud over my heart. I began to preach to myself (saying things like, “God is in control”, “God is the one that sets up rulers”, etc.), but the preaching was dry and not impacting my heart. But, God by the Holy Spirit began to preach to me, and He is a much better preacher than I am. His preaching impacted my heart significantly. That is why I am writing right now. My desire is that God would encourage others with the encouragement that He gave me. It wasn’t so much a revealing of facts that changed my heart this morning. It was a transfer of hope. 

Without me knowing it, over the last months of all that led up to this election (campaigns, debates, constant talk of important societal/moral issues), I had gradually been shifting my hope to man. Hope in a conservative government. Hope in amendments to protect marriage. Hope in a conservative president to help to protect the unborn. Hope in a president that would protect the economy so that my kids could have an enjoyable life. Hope takes energy, and if we put it in the wrong things we are left empty and weak, and this is how I felt this morning.

But, by the grace of God, as I am writing this, I am full of hope and peace and even excitement. What brought about the change? By God’s grace, my hope was transferred from this world to God and His kingdom. God helped me to shift my eyes from politics to His kingdom. He gave me a renewed zeal for the church and for evangelism. There is real hope in these things because in Christ we have great strength, real power, for after all we are “more than conquerors”. The more we transfer hope from this world to God’s kingdom, the more we will have joy, energy and zeal that cannot be shaken by even president Obama. May God, through the Holy Spirit lift the eyes of our soul to see the eternal things that cannot be shaken. For His glory and our joy. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...