Skip to main content

Faith and the Word: Advice from George Müller by Pastor Charlie Handren

George Müller is well known as a man of faith and prayer, but did you know that he read the Bible nearly two-hundred times! The reason his faith was strong and his prayers were effective was because his mind was filled with the Word of God and his prayers were shaped by the wisdom of God. For Müller, there’s no way to be a person of faith and fruitfulness without a robust commitment to the Bible, and therefore he offered his readers five pieces of advice for Bible reading (Autobiography of George Müller, Westminster Literature, pages 21-22).

First, above all, we should settle in our minds that only God can give insight and help us profit from our time in the Word. Therefore, we should seek him before we read, while we read, and after we read. Since Bible reading is a relational exercise, it should be shot through with prayer.

Second, we should realize that while the Holy Spirit is our teacher, he teaches us in his time and way. Therefore, we may not get the insight or application we seek immediately or easily. Indeed, we may have to repeatedly ask for his help and work toward understanding until he’s ready to open our eyes to his wisdom. So, Müller says, we must seek “for light prayerfully, patiently, and with a view to the glory of God.”

Third, Müller feels that it’s best to read the Bible one book at a time, from the beginning to the end. Reading a small portion from this or that book may seem profitable, but in the end, it is not. God has revealed his will in his way, and therefore we should receive his Word as he delivered it. Müller suggests, then, that we read a little from the Old Testament and a little from the New Testament each day, always starting where we left off the day before.

Fourth, in addition to reading, Müller suggests that meditation is of utmost importance. We must learn to ponder some portion of what we’ve read, or the whole if we’re able. Reading without meditation is like smelling food without eating it—it may be superficially pleasurable but it profits nothing. So we must learn to meditate on something each day so that the Word will inform our minds, inflame our hearts, and give shape to our way of life.

Finally, Müller urges us again to pray, for he suggests that prayer is the most important means of grace after the Word of God itself. He confesses that although he prayed much in his later years, he would have made more progress if he would have prayed with more regularity, fervor, and length in his earlier years.

O Beloved, let us have ears to hear the simple but sage advice of this great man of God! He bore much fruit well into his 90s, not in the least because his mind was filled with the Word of God and his prayers were shaped by the wisdom of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...