Skip to main content

Faith and Contentment in Christ by Dan Porch (TCTN Pastor)

     When Jesus taught, he often took the simple, in plain view realities and used them to explain some aspect of life that is hidden due to our dullness. For example, he pointed to the flowers of the field for several of his illustrations. Taking the easy things for us to see and understand, he explained deeper truths to those who had ears to hear.
     Well, several mornings back, I awoke early and walked into our little sitting area to pray. I looked outside, and in the darkness, I could tell that something was different with the tree just beyond our window. I looked more closely, but the darkness hid the reality from my eyes. It wasn’t too long before the sun began to chase the darkness into the disappearing night. And as I glanced out the window again...the tree, that had been all green the day before, was now covered...I mean covered in little white flowers...it was beautiful! And oh the fragrance that began to waft into our home. Two days later, the tree was green again...the fragrance gone.
     I was reminded of God’s purposes for our lives. He calls us to live faithfully where he places us...like the green tree behind my house. Most often, by his grace, we are a beautiful, healthy green. We grow; we work; we love those around us; we provide shade; basically we accomplish the purposes for which God has placed us here. And in his timing, for the sake of his design, there might come times when he causes our lives to blossom in unique ways that display his glory in such a manner that others can only stand back and be amazed.
     And for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, there is praise and worship given to the One who has brought about such beauty through ordinary instruments. The tree soon goes back to the way it was...a simple, faith-filled life...being green again and never glorying in the beauty of itself but simply enjoying the delight of being used to display the wonder and glory of God.
     Am I willing to live in that contentment of God being the giver of both the green, ordinary life and the moments of white, fragrant beauty? Or do I chafe, seeking the glory of the more fragrant, unwilling to wait in faith, trusting the Lord to bring about his purposes through my life?
     Contentment always springs from faith. It will continually involve a fight to live and think from the perspective of trust in One we cannot see, One we believe in based on his promises and by the power of his Spirit working in us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...