Skip to main content

How Does Jesus Care for His Sheep? by Pastor Charlie Handren

     Last week we learned something about how a person is saved from John 10:27. Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” From this, and earlier passages, we learn that they are given by the Father to the Son, they hear the voice of their Shepherd and awaken, they are known by their Shepherd, and they turn from their ways to follow him. But if this is how a person is saved, then what happens once they’re saved? What distinguishes them from those who are not Jesus’ sheep?
     Jesus answers in John 10:28, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.” I see three effects of salvation here. First, Jesus gives his sheep eternal life. Jesus’ promise here relates to what he said in John 10:10. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” In other words, Jesus came to lay down his life for the good of the sheep and the glory of his Father, and he has succeeded in doing so. He gives his own all that they need forever, so that they’ll live and be fully alive while they’re alive.
     Second, on the other side of the coin, Jesus promises that his sheep will never perish, or put another way, that they will never be destroyed. As Jesus said in verse 10, the thief comes to use the sheep for his own purposes, and when he’s done with them, he destroys them. Jesus, on the other hand, cares so much for his own that he laid down his life for them and took it back again. And having done so, he now protects them forever from those who would destroy them. Of course, he will allow his sheep to endure all sorts of trials and temptations, but he will not allow such things to destroy them, in fact, he’ll use such things to mature and sanctify them and bring them all the closer to the abundant life he has provided for them.
     Third, Jesus said that no one will be able to snatch his sheep out of his hand. In other words, Jesus’ sheep gain eternal life, eternal protection, and eternal security from him. This last promise relates to John 10:12 where Jesus said that the hired hand sees trouble coming, flees from the enemy, and leaves the sheep to be snatched and scattered. But Jesus is not like the hired hand, rather, when he sees trouble coming, he cares for his sheep, he protects the sheep, and he keeps the sheep from the evil plans of their foes. If anyone is stronger than Jesus, then they will be able to snatch his sheep from his hand. But since all things were created through him (John 1:3), no one is equal to him and no one can take his own from him. By the grace and strength of Jesus, his sheep gain eternal life, eternal protection, and eternal security in him.
     These promises are awe-inspiring for those who know and follow Jesus. That said, they do raise another question: how can Jesus make such astounding promises? We’ll look at that next week, but for now, let’s give thanks and praise to the Shepherd who cares so deeply for his sheep!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...