Skip to main content

Laboring for the Glory of Christ in Romania, by Pastor Charlie Handren



Laboring for the Glory of Christ in Romania
By Pastor Charlie

Last Friday, Ethan Larson and I had the privilege of traveling to northern Romania with Training Leaders International (TLI), the ministry with which Ethan serves. Over the last year, Ethan has worked with the staff of TLI and local Romanian leaders to set up this training opportunity. The vision of TLI is to bring college and seminary level training to parts of the world that have little or no access to it. They only go at the request of local leaders, and they require those leaders to play a substantial role in the process.
Once a site has been chosen and local leadership set up, they travel to the host country three times per year for three years, for a total of nine courses. The first course is usually “The Attributes of God,” followed by “Biblical Theology” and “Hermeneutics” (the science and art of interpretation). After these three core courses, they lead students through various books of the Bible depending on local need and desire.
This trip to Romania is the first of nine, and thus Ethan and I will teach “The Attributes of God,” along with two American teacher’s assistants (both of whom are highly qualified). The classes will take placeMonday through Friday, starting about 4 p.m. and lasting for about four hours. We will also preach at local churches the Sunday before and the Sunday after, which is a great privilege and opportunity to connect with our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Further, since the classes take place at night, we will have the opportunity to see some local museums and to venture into Ukraine. We look forward to seeing what the Lord has for us in these informal times as well. 
Thank you so much for your financial and prayer support of this trip! We are in need of your continued prayers, as the Apostle Paul wrote: “Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored…” (2 Thessalonians 3:1-3). Pray that we will be focused and faithful, that we will be prayerful and fruitful, that we will be humble and bold. And please pray for our families while we are gone, and perhaps consider checking in with them to let them know that you’re praying and that you love them. Thank you in advance!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...