Skip to main content

Announcements - October 9, 2016



Announcements—October 9, 2016
  • All-Church Prayer Meeting, Wednesday, October 12: We will gather together for worship and prayer in the Cafeteria starting at 6:30 p.m. All are encouraged to attend. Child care will be provided.
  • Respect Life Month—Abba PRC Baby Bottle Boomerang! Celebrate Respect Life Month and bless Abba Pregnancy Resource Center in Elk River. On Sundays, October 2 and 9, baby bottles will be available to take home and fill with coins, currency, and/or checks. There will be a sign-up sheet on the Missions table for number of bottles to be checked out. Please return the bottles to Shelley Herzog by October 23. The donations from these bottles make a huge difference in the lives of the clients, babies and unborn babies. Thank you for showing God’s love to the ministry of Abba PRC.
  • Men’s Retreat: Attention men! The 2016 men’s retreat is scheduled for October 13-15. Please sign up by filling out a brochure. Make checks payable to GCF and write “Men’s Retreat” in the memo. There is still time to sign up, we would love to have you join us for a great weekend of fellowship.
  • Fall Women’s Bible Study to Begin October 20: We will be studying the Sermon on the Mount, using a guide written by Jen Wilkin. Join us at Susan Fergus’ home on Thursday, October 20, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. If you need to order a book, talk with Susan.
  • Father Daughter Dinner, November 12: Fathers and daughters (age 6 & up) mark your calendars for a special night at Rockwoods, Saturday, November 12. More details will be available soon.
  • Wednesday Morning Prayer Meeting: Anyone who would like to join in corporate prayer may do so. The prayer time is 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. at the church office.


Next Week’s Fighter Verse
I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, “My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,” [calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.]

Isaiah 46:9-10 [11]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...