Skip to main content

Sermon Questions - May 8, 2016

The Death of Saul
1 Samuel 31:1-13
May 8, 2016

Study Questions

1.     Read 1 Samuel 31:1-7 and then skim read 28:3-25. How do these two chapters connect? How do they relate to chapters 26-27 and 29-30? What is the Lord trying to show us in the layout of these chapters?
2.     Google “Mount Gilboa” to find where it was and to see actual pictures of it. Stare at the pictures and take in the geographical context.
3.    Ultimately, why was Israel so badly defeated in this battle? How exactly did Saul, his sons, and his armor-bearer die? How does this connect to previous chapters? Why did Jonathan, who was faithful to the Lord, have to die along with them?
4.     How did the rest of Israel respond to this tragic battle? What was the ultimate outcome?
5.     Read 1 Samuel 31:8-13. Why did the Lord allow Saul’s body to be treated in this way? To whom did the Philistines send the news of his death?
6.    Who were the people of Jabesh-Gilead? What relationship did they have to Saul and his tribe, Benjamin? What exactly did they do?
7.      What’s the most important thing you learned from the sermon and your personal study?
8.      How has today’s message helped you to grow in love for God and others?
9.       What is the most important thing Jesus would have you do in light of 1 Samuel 29?

10.  Take some time to worship Jesus. Thank him, praise him, and ask for his help as you seek to strive with other believers for the faith of the gospel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...