Skip to main content

God’s House is a House of Prayer for All Peoples


In Isaiah 56:7 the Lord said that he would bring the Gentiles into his house of prayer and make them joyful there, for his house is a house of prayer for all peoples. And as we learned last September when we meditated together on the place of prayer in the life of the church, the primary reason God’s house is a house of prayer is because God himself is in a constant state of prayer. The Holy Spirit is ever-interceding for us (Romans 8:26), the Son is ever-interceding for us (Romans 8:34b; Heb 7:25), and thus the Father is ever-receiving their intercession. 

Although the details of this inter-Trinitarian conversation changed after creation, and after sin entered creation, this mode of communication is eternal. God has always been and will always be in a constant state of prayer, and to come near to him in Christ is to enter into that eternal conversation; that eternal joy; that eternal way of life. 

The privilege of prayer is, thus, beyond comprehension but it is the privilege of all who believe in Jesus Christ and are therefore in a never-ending relationship with God the Father. 

Over the next few months, the leaders and members of Glory of Christ Fellowship will be seeking to discern to the Lord’s will for the church over the next five years. As the process of discerning his vision progresses, we will surely see many things but chief among them all will be this—Glory of Christ must be a house of prayer, for this is the nature of our Father’s house and we are his house. 

Part of growing as a house of prayer in 2016 will be sitting at the feet of some who’ve gone before us and have much to teach us. Therefore, we will be dedicating the devotionals for at least the next five months to hearing from such people of prayer as George MĂ¼ller, Hudson Taylor, E. M. Bounds, and Andrew Murray. Please take a few minutes each week to read these devotionals and to grow in your life of prayer, that we as a people might grow all the more into a house of prayer. 

Prayer Focus: Pray that the Lord will capture our hearts with the great privilege of prayer, that we might often be found in prayer privately and corporately. Pray that our Father would shape us into his house of prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord, by George Muller

To Have My Soul Happy in the Lord By George Muller “It has pleased the Lord to teach me a truth, the benefit of which I have not lost for more than fourteen years. The point is this: I saw more clearly than ever that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about was not how much I might serve the Lord, or how I might glorify the Lord, but how I might get my soul into a happy state, and how my inner man might be nourished. “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the Word of God—not prayer, but the Word of God. And here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God so that it only passes through my mind just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what I read, pondering over it, and applying it to my heart. To meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed. And that thus,...

God Displays His Beauty While Lifting Heavy Burdens by Pastor Kevin

I know I am a little bit overweight. My doctor tells me so. The mirror that I look into affirms it and the scale (that I mostly avoid) reminds me every time I step on it. All of that makes what I am about to say so much more impressive. I had the privilege of sitting on the beaches of Florida's Atlantic coast for 8 days on our most recent family trip. For me there is something magical about the beach, especially on the Atlantic side with the waves washing up against the shoreline. We have been lucky enough to find a sleepy beach town to vacation at. A nook, if you will, that typically features retired folks or families with kids. Out of the way of those who want to party, the beach is truly a relaxing place for me.  Let me tell you something that I gleaned this time around that never quite landed on me. This last week it landed on me, almost literally. My son Ben and I are the more adventurous specimens in the Feder five. We actually get into the salty water where there are jelly f...

Is your Sense of Identity Tied to your Smartphone?

In her book Alone Together Sherry Turkle writes, “To make more time would mean turning off our phones. But this is not a simple proposition since our devices are ever more closely coupled to our sense of our bodies and minds. They provide a social and psychological GPS, a navigation system for our tethered selves” (167). Hmm, that’s a profound point. Our phones are no longer just a tool we use to get things done; they have become part of who we are. They make us feel awake, alive, and connected to the world, and therefore we must have our phones with us at all times. But why is this so? Or to ask a question that gets closer to the heart of my issues with my phone, Why do we feel the compulsion to check and respond to messages multiple times per hour? Perhaps… We want to feel important, bigger than we are. We want to feel needed, even indispensable. We fear the disappointment, disapproval, or anger of others if we do not respond in a certain period of time. We feel i...